Monday, April 09, 2007

Ideas For Posts I Can't Get Around To (Immigration)

(My own view on Immigration Reform is that we already had a guest worker program in this country -- it was called Slavery.)

(I cannot trust the motives of anyone proposing a systematic guest worker program. Anything with a guest worker program is a non-starter in my eyes, no matter how many good things it is attached to in a legislative package.)

(Illegal immigration is illegal, and that has to count for something. The laws need to be enforced, and if the laws are unenforceable they need to be changed to something that is enforceable. I don't know how we are going to deport 10 million plus illegal immigrants.)

(Of course, I know that all the Republicans calling for deportation are also calling for the fair treatment of the children who are born here -- who are born U.S. citizens.)

(We already had a series of laws in this country where people born in this country were not considered citizens of this country, or of anywhere else, either. That was called slavery.)

(The idea that we need illegal immigrants to take jobs that Americans do not want to do is unfathomable to me. I can't even figure out how to respond to that. I hate to sound like someone out of the 19th century, but it appears that we want illegal immigrants to subsidize the price of pork, cotton and oranges.)

(An immigration debate that fails to take into account the effect that the refugees from the War on Terror will have on immigration by the end of the decade, and the effect that the refugees from Global Warming will have on immigration by the end of the next decade, is an immigration debate not worth having.)

(My conclusion on Immigration Reform is that nothing that Bush proposes or this current Congress is likely to approve will make the situation any better. It will actually make things worse because it will lead to the false conclusion that we actually are doing something to solve the problem.)