Saturday, September 03, 2005

High Water Everywhere -- A Footnote on Bob Dylan

High water risin', the shacks are slidin' down
Folks lose their possessions - folks are leaving town
Bertha Mason shook it - broke it
Then she hung it on a wall
Says, "You're dancin' with whom they tell you to
Or you don't dance at all."
It's tough out there
High water everywhere

***

High water risin', six inches 'bove my head
Coffins droppin' in the street
Like balloons made out of lead
Water pourin' into Vicksburg, don't know what I'm going to do
"Don't reach out for me," she said
"Can't you see I'm drownin' too?"
It's rough out there
High water everywhere

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
"You can't open your mind, boys
To every conceivable point of view."
They got Charles Darwin trapped out there on Highway Five
Judge says to the High Sheriff,
"I want him dead or alive
Either one, I don't care."
High Water everywhere

Bob Dylan
"High Water (For Charley Patton)"
Released September 11, 2001

Of course, that is from the same Dylan album, "Love And Theft" which has the lyric:

"Only One Thing I Did Wrong
Stay in Mississippi A Day Too Long"

I'm a big Dylan guy, and there's a lot of product out there -- especially over the next 6 weeks -- most of it brought to you by the Jester himself -- that will tell you that Dylan was the voice of those times. Well, he isn't doing too bad with these times either.